Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Freezer Raid

I've been blabbering on a lot lately about cleaning and purging, and today's victim lucky recipient was our chest freezer. I went a-diggin' in there today to remind myself of what treasures lay within and hopefully spark a little creativity in terms of cooking and consuming my frozen goodies before spring and summer bring a whole new crop of edible delights. I found a LOT of things that I had forgotten that I had stashed in there and am kind of excited about getting to use them all in the next few weeks and months. Some of my newly re-discovered treasures-

*Six whole Red Rock Crab! - Crab cakes, anyone? :)
*5 pounds of blueberries - I knew that I had some in there. I just forgot how much.
*A honkin' bunch of zucchini
*LOTS of wild berries - huckleberries, salmon berries & wild blackberries. I'm going to try making a sorbet out of some of these.

I also found a few packages of sliced nectarines in there from last summer. What a treat to stumble on in January! And so, I am sort of knocking together a frozen dessert with these nectarines. It's basically an "ice cream pie" with a cookie crumb crust and homemade nectarine frozen yogurt, made of course, in the handy-dandy Kitchenaid. Here she is, my lovely freezy-pie -




I'd post a recipe, but I didn't really use one. So in lieu of a proper recipe, here's a quick rundown of what I did to make this lovely little treat -

1. I smashed some Meyer lemon cookies that we had lying around, mixed in a little butter and pressed them into the bottom of a spring form pan. Baked it at 350 for 5 or 10 minutes. Cooled it.

2. Mixed 2 cups plain Greek-style yogurt with 2 cups of whole milk peach yogurt, plus the thawed nectarines, a few tablespoons of maple syrup and some cinnamon & ginger.

3. Threw the yogurt mixture into the ice cream maker.

4. Poured the newly made Fro-Yo into the cooled crust and chucked it in the freezer.

That's it! I'm pretty darn happy with how it came out, but the kids weren't so keen on it. I think the yogurt was just a little more tart that they wanted in a "treat". Picky little beasts. Oh well, more for mama! :)

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so lovely. I have lots of frozen fruit, and have been "experimenting" with pies and cobblers lately.....my kids are wierd in that the actually like to eat fruits, veggies and salad - last weekend they ate a WHOLE rasberry pie by themselves in 2 days time. But I'm thinking I have to try this one out - see if they like it. Thanks!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that they have a supersense about anything even remotely "healthy"? You should see the faces I get when I make a "chocolate milkshake green smoothie". You'd think it was puke, when it actually has all sorts of yummies, not to mention...chocolate. Your pie looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave me the idea for this pie with that YUMMY chocolate-coconut-date pie that you made. YOU NEED TO WRITE YOUR RECIPES DOWN!!! I swear if you wrote a cookbook, I'd be first in line to buy. :)

    ReplyDelete