Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hippy Wine

After much dawdling, I finally got around to starting my first gallon of rose hip wine today. I've actually had these rose hips in the freezer for a while, being that I was 4 ounces shy of the amount required for the recipe that I wanted to use. Not able to ever lay my hands on more, I decided to make up the 4 ounce difference with the rose hip's botanical cousin, an apple.



I sliced, crushed, sugared and added water to these lovely hips (and half a yellow delicious apple) and set them to steep in the primary fermenter for 24 hours. Tomorrow I'll pitch the yeast and in a few days we'll see what we see. If this batch works out, I'll post the recipe here along with my fudges and observations.

On a related note, the hubby is starting another batch of beer today as well - a Czech/German Pilsner, he tells me, as if I'd have any idea at all what that meant. I figure that between our parallel booze brewing efforts, we will have a few lovely intoxicants to imbibe in the months and years to come.

2 comments:

  1. The rose hip wine sounds lovely. We have relatives in PA that make homemade wine, and I try to stock up every time we go back there - much better than the stuff you buy at the store!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very interested in making my own wine. I'd love your recipe!! and I had to LOL cause my DH is a homebrewer too :) Happy wine making, and drinking LOL

    ReplyDelete