Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Input Requested - Name this farm!

Our very soon-to-be new place, our little farm, is going to need a name. I've been mulling this over for a while, trying to think of something unique, witty and fitting. I've got so many weird possibilities that I thought I'd run a few by you, but first, you'll need a bit of info on our farm and what we hope to do with it.



Our new place is located on one of many peninsulas in Western Washington, which means a few things -
A) The soil is clay, rocks and more clay, but mostly, clay.
B) We get a lot of rainfall.
C) Our back pasture is a very small valley with clay soil, which is to say, it is boggy.
D) The main food crop grown on our little peninsula is blueberries, because they don't mind the standing water or the acidity from our abundant fir and pine forests.
E) Our main focus will be poultry, at least at first. Chickens and turkeys for sure, maybe ducks too and somewhere down the line, we'll look into getting something with hooves. We will also, of course, have a hefty garden - eventually.



With all that in mind, I humbly toss out a few of the names that have drifted through my head, when thinking of this farm-

*Homemakers Acres
*Soggy Bottom Farm
*Jackson Family Farmstead
*Pampered Poultry & Produce
*Two Sisters Organics (This is the girls' choice, though I think we'd have to be certified to use this name - d'oh!)
*Little White House Produce & Poultry
*White House Farmstead
*???

Feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions in the form of a comment or email, though I don't know if/when I'll be able to view it, since my internet was supposed to be shut down yesterday, Comcast could drop the hammer at any moment.

See y'all on the flipside! ;)

8 comments:

  1. I like soggy bottom farm and pampered poultry and produce the bests. How very exciting to be moving to a new farm, I'm 100% jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pampered poultry & produce I like. P to the 3rd power :) also like soggy bottom, makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does boggy mean there'll be cranberries?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're looking into the possibility of cranberries. They seem complicated.

    Billy has also contributed to the list of names - "Boggy Hollow Farm", as he feels that soggy bottom has a little too much of a wet diaper ring to it. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is a tough one. Ours is Pine Ridge Farms (due to the pine trees on my parents farm - they are I and we are II) and when we moved, we had NOT A ONE pine tree, so we planted about 50 of them.....I think I like Boggy Hollow Farm.....
    Have a great move!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Boggy Hollow the best. Boggy Hollow Bird Breeders. Boggy Hollow Best Brew, Boggy Hollow Blueberries.....See, they all sound good this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then, I think we have a winner - Boggy Hollow it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boggy Hollow is very catchy, but Soggy Bottom is the most memorable, in my opinion. Either way, it's a beautiful place and and an inspiring project. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete