Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Everything's coming up... celery?

My latest weird kitchen experiment - regenerating celery!

Growing celery, Day 7




The detailed instructions about how to do this can be found here. Basically, though, you just save the root end of your bunch of celery, set it in a shallow dish of water for a few days, then plant it in about an inch of potting soil and set it in a sunny location, like a kitchen window, and watch it grow.

Day 14



Eventually, I should be able to harvest my new celery, and re-replant the root, again. Did that last sentence make any kind of sense? Anyway, at just over 2-weeks into the experiment, I have about 2 or 3 inches of new growth on my first plant, and have since planted another as well, which has grown about 1/2 inch in 5 days time. Who knows if this will be worth it, but it's really not much trouble and if all else fails, I can compost the lot.

Thanks to Suzanne at Chickens in the Road for the idea!

1 comment:

  1. Who knew?!? I love this idea!! I have some past its prime celery in the fridge, maybe I'll try to grow it :) How very awesome!!

    ReplyDelete