Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lost in my knitting...

...send in reinforcements in the form of quad-lattes and assorted colors of Debbie Bliss "cashmerino", please.

Seriously, I'm deep in the zone. I've been averaging one hat per day for the past week. I can't help it. Between the Fall weather, the warmth of the wood stove and endless Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns on Netflix, I've been a knitting fool, a FOOL I say!

If loving yarn is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Here are a few pics of the hats. There are no patterns being posted at this time, this is just me bragging about actually starting AND finishing a few projects in a timely manner.

Project 1, Annie's Hat



Project 2, The Cupcake Hat



This is from The Weekend Crafter's Knitting, by Catherine Ham. The pattern is actually called Where'd you get that hat?!, but a) That sounds dorky, and b) I modified it by throwing the cupcake theme in the mix, therefore necessitating the new name.

It will be finished-finished when I can sew on the "sprinkle" beads, which will happen just as soon as my sewing box can be located.

Project 3, Boys' Earflap Hat - In progress



This may be for one of my nephews, or it may be for one of my friends' kids. The who wasn't really part of my plan, it was really more of a primal must keep knitting thing. It'll be like Cinderella's glass slipper, whoever it fits shall be the lucky winner.

4 comments:

  1. I need to figure out how to make hats. I got some cute lime green super chunky yarn to make a hat for my daughter, now I need to learn how LOL! Any links for easy and fun hats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, The best thing to do first is get circular needles, though double pointed are nice to use, they can be hard if you are first learning. As for a hat you can pretty much find any pattern for a simple one online. Try even Lion Brand Yarn's website. They were what I used when I was first starting. Good Luck!


    Michelle, Those colors on the last one are so deep and gorgeous. They will make a beautiful hat. I also loved the creative twist on the now dubbed "cupcake hat". So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite beginning knitting book is Simple Knits for Cherished Babies. Everything in it is sooo simple, it is perfect for a newbie knitter. I'll bet that if you knitted a baby-sized hat with super chunky yarn and size 10 or 11 needles, that it would fit Miss Caity perfectly. :)

    I agree with Anna too, that if you can find a pattern on a yarn label for the weight/size of yarn that you're looking to use, give it a whirl. If all else fails, go to your local indie yarn shop (as in, not JoAnn), and plead ignorance. Little old ladies and fierce chicks with tattoos will come crawling out of the woodwork to show you the ropes and "stitch & bitch" with you. ;) Good luck, and please post pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVELY hats! Fantastic. You are so quick! Have a great day
    Kris

    ReplyDelete