Monday, January 18, 2010

Blackberry Battle Royale

I am posting these pictures of the back of my garden to shame myself into whipping it into shape.




Garden of Weedin' indeed!


It's too bad that it didn't occur to me to take a true "before" picture before I started whacking away at the evil wild blackberries. Then you could have appreciated it for the jungle 'o thorns that it was/sort of still is. In addition to the uninvited and VERY hard to kill Himalayan blackberry, we also have ourselves a giant clematis in need of something to climb, and an out-of-control female kiwi (who also would benefit from having something to climb) who probably needs a trim, though, because I'm terrified of killing her, hasn't received one. It took me about an hour to remove one wheelbarrow full of blackberry vines before I had to take a little self-imposed time out/ice cream break. And here I am delaying my return to battle further by telling you my tale of prickly woe.

The plan is, after clearing out the invasive weeds and other unchecked plant life, we will attempt to assemble and erect the pergola (from a kit) that I bought over a year ago. Oh, yes, we have great plans for this sad little patch of weeds. Hopefully by summer's end, we will have transformed that little corner of chaos into a peaceful little garden hideaway. That's the plan, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment