Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Kicking the Habit

As a step toward feeling better and NOT as a New Year's resolution, I have decided to try and dial-back sugar consumption in our household. It is going so-so.

On the upside, I have discovered stevia. It has already replaced the teaspoon of sugar in my coffee, with none of the tummy-burning side effects of some of the other "alternative" sweeteners that I've tried. It's a small win, but I'll take what I can get.

On the downside, I am still firmly in the grip of an intense sugar jones, and am probably not a lot of fun to be around at the moment. The kids are also not taking things so well. After our Voodoo Doughnut binge (the blame for which lands squarely on Anthony Bourdain), the withdrawl has been unpleasant. I know, that just like exercise, the first few days to a week are the painful part, after which you start feeling benefits and eventually end up feeling better than ever. It's the getting there that's not so fun.

Next on my list of healthful adventures - the making and drinking of green smoothies. I'm not expecting them to be received with open arms, but we're going to give it an honest go. This is going to be an interesting week around here...

2 comments:

  1. Go green smoothies! Here's my tips for green smoothies that even a kid will drink and for a sweet tooth. Most recipes use water for the liquid. I don't like it that way too much myself. I either juice a couple apples then extra water as needed to blend or use the kids store bought apple juice. It makes a much sweeter and more kid friendly smoothie. Also, start light on the greens and add a little more each day. You shouldn't be able to taste the greens at all. When I had so much greens in my smoothies you could taste them, the kids wouldn't touch them. Right now I am using 2 packed cups greens in a blender full and the kids are drinking them up and asking for more. A spoonful of honey or a couple stevia packets also helps with the sweetness. Best of luck with the family!
    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep with it! It will get better! What she said about green smoothies...;)

    ReplyDelete