Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Container Growing - Hits and Misses

I came across a link on Dr. Earth Organics' facebook page about how to grow your own ginger root. Cool! Ginger is one of the more expensive, oft-used flavors in my kitchen, so this could potentially rock for me, right?

The instructions are super easy (find them here). Essentially, buy some organic ginger and plant it in good potting soil in your container of choice. Don't let it get too hot/cold/wet/dry, and in a few months, you've hopefully doubled your initial investment. Can it really be that easy?

This is me we're talking about. Does anybody remember the re-generate your celery thing from last summer? That gave me about 3 inches of new, skinny, pale celery before it up and died. Not one of my greatest hits.

Last year's container grown spuds didn't exactly wow either. But that was owing to a few things beyond my control, like my protective bird netting being mercilessly hacked by my chickens, slugs falling from the sky, and us selling the house and moving before the spuds had rightly finished up, amounting to 2 pounds of seed/waste potatoes producing 1 lb, 13 oz of sad little micro-spuds. I guess that the slugs and the hens got the difference.

In spite of my track record, I'm going to give the ginger a shot. It sounds pretty low maintenance, which is half the battle when you're a plant/pet/hairstyle of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Oh good luck! I had rotten luck at container potatoes, too. Stupid waste of money LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isnt Ginger a tropical plant? I usually grow my spuds in a tyre stack, nothing can get at them like that and its fun for kids too. I used to live in the tropics and one of the main cash crops for the local farmers was ginger. It grew very well in rich red volcanic soil in stinking heat with little watering, in fact I dont think they watered at all just whatever the rainfall was but admittedly the rainfall levels were high. Sooo if you can reproduce a hot, tropical summer in Olympia Washington go ahead.

    ReplyDelete